Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Technophobes Need Not Apply

This book takes no prisoners when it comes to the technologically challenged.

Bluntly, Mr. Dilenschneider weaves in this theme throughout his guidebook. (Sorry, no outsourcing it to India or Singapore, or wherever else what seems like the bulk of MIT graduates are heading after college in the good ol' USA.)

Recall when that new software was introduced throughout your business and everyone attended some training. How many of you ran back to the office, fired up the software and APPLIED what you had learned. How many sat USING the software with fellow employees peeking over your shoulder, watching, lurking, pretending to know what you were doing - - all the while just too scared to try in for themselves.

And recall the excuses they used: “Computers and I aren’t close. In fact, we have a love-hate relationship. I have ‘my PEOPLE’ engaged in those sorts of nitty-gritty things to keep my mind clear and on the big picture.”

“I tried that software but like the older version better. It was good enough for me then when I learned it, and good enough for me know. In fact, I like to use the one that is TWO versions back. It’s the best and I don’t have to re-invent the wheel using tried-and-true methods. Life is too short to get bogged down in learning all these new bells & whistles, gadgets & gizmos!”

“I just couldn’t seem to get through to the tech-support guys. They’re all overseas anyway, you know, the time changes and all that. I gave up waiting. I’ll get into that new program when things begin to settle down around here. I’m too busy protecting my rear to get bogged down sitting at a PC. I've sure Steve can help me when time-crunch comes.” (There's always a generic "Steve" somewhere in the company who quickly masters these new software versions and selflessly shares this knowlege with co-workers.)

The author makes no bones about technological knowhow: He calls today’s workplace “a warp-speed world that is being transformed by technology.” We all know this, but he’s the first to say it quite this way. Simply, slickly, in quotable form. The gift of truth in under 200 pages.

No comments: